We may receive a commission from some of the products or service recommended on our site, at no cost to you.This form of advertising helps us continue to provide you with free advice.
It’s no secret that dogs are known for their powerful sense of smell. However, what may surprise some is the importance of using good-smelling dog shampoo when bathing your pup. Not only will it leave them smelling fresh, but some scented shampoos also provide soothing properties and can be enjoyed by everyone in the vicinity.
In addition, using a scented shampoo is usually healthier for your pup than a non-scented or chemical-based shampoo. If you’re looking for the best-smelling dog shampoo on the market, look no further! We’ve got you covered with our top 7 picks.
Table of Contents
Best Smelling Dog Shampoo – Our Top Pick
Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Dog & Cat Shampoo & Conditioner Set
What Are The Best Smelling Dog Shampoo?
- Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Dog & Cat Shampoo & Conditioner Set
- TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Earthbath Deodorizing Rosemary Dog & Cat Shampoo
- Richard’s Organics Anti-Bacterial Shampoo
- Pets Are Kids Too Premium Oatmeal Pet Shampoo
- 4Legger Organic, Hypoallergenic, Lemongrass & Aloe Dog Shampoo
What to look for in the best-smelling dog shampoo?
When choosing a dog shampoo, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Think about what type of scent you’re looking for. Do you want a refreshing citrus smell? Or something more earthy and calming? Scented shampoos are available in various fragrances, so you’re sure to find one that suits your needs.
- Consider what type of coat your dog has. If they have a sensitive coat, you’ll want to avoid anything that could irritate their skin, like perfumes or dyes. You may also want to look for a conditioner to help soothe their skin.
- Think about your dog’s lifestyle. If they spend a lot of time outside, you’ll want to choose a shampoo designed to remove dirt and debris. On the other hand, if your dog mostly stays indoors, you may not need a shampoo that’s quite as heavy-duty.
- Take into consideration any medical conditions your dog may have. If they have allergies or sensitive skin, you’ll want to look for a hypoallergenic shampoo that won’t irritate them. You may also ask your veterinarian for recommendations on which shampoo is best for your pup.
- You’ll also want to consider the purpose of the shampoo. Is it simply for freshening up your dog between baths? Or do you need something that repels pests like fleas and ticks? Scented shampoos serve both purposes, so be sure to read the labels before making your purchase.
- Remember that not all dogs will enjoy the smell of scented shampoo. If your dog is sensitive to smells, stick to a non-scented or hypoallergenic option. With these things in mind, let’s consider our top 7 picks for the best-smelling dog shampoo.
7 Best Smelling Dog Shampoos – Reviews
1- Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Dog & Cat Shampoo & Conditioner Set
Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Dog & Cat Shampoo & Conditioner Set is a gentle, deep-cleansing shampoo made with natural oatmeal and aloe to moisturize sensitive skin. Safe for dogs, cats, and most pets, this formula leaves coats looking healthy, soft, and shiny. Lavender and coconut oils provide a refreshing lavender coconut scent while also keeping your pet smelling fresh for days. It is made in the USA.
- Gentle, deep-cleansing formula
- It contains natural oatmeal and aloe to moisturize sensitive skin.
- Lavender and coconut oils provide a refreshing scent.
- Leaves coats looking healthy, soft, and shiny
- Some pets may not enjoy the smell of lavender
2- TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo
TropiClean’s Hypoallergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo is perfect for puppies 12 weeks or older! This shampoo is soap-free, dye-free, and cruelty-free and uses a gentle coconut cleanser that leaves your pet’s coat feeling soft and silky. The refreshing scent of coconut will take your pet to a tropical paradise with every bath!
- Soap-free, dye-free, and cruelty-free
- It uses a gentle coconut cleanser that leaves your pet’s coat feeling soft and silky
- The refreshing scent of coconut will take your pet to a tropical paradise with every bath!
- Some pets may not enjoy the smell of coconut
3- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
This Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is made in the USA with ingredients from the garden, including lavender, mint, sage, and tea tree oil. The easy-to-use 2-in-1 pet wash cleans and moisturizes, leaving your dog soft, fluffy, and smelling great. This soothing and safe shampoo is formulated with a coconut base, aloe vera, and vitamin E to nourish skin and make coats velvety soft.
- Made in the USA with ingredients from the garden, including lavender, mint, sage, and tea tree oil
- Easy-to-use 2-in-1 pet wash cleans and moisturizes.
- The soothing and safe shampoo is formulated with a coconut base, aloe vera, and vitamin E to nourish skin and make coats velvety soft.
- Some dogs may not like the smell of lavender or mint
4- Earthbath Deodorizing Rosemary Dog & Cat Shampoo
Earthbath Deodorizing Rosemary Dog & Cat Shampoo is a soap-free, coconut-based shampoo that gently cleanses skin and fur, leaving behind a soft, plush coat. Rosemary and coconut work together to soothe itchy skin without washing off topical flea treatments. The natural rosemary scent keeps your furry friend smelling as clean as if he had just left the spa. Perfect for cats and dogs over six weeks of age who need a deodorizing shampoo. 100% biodegradable, paraben, and phosphate-free for a safe and healthy bath experience.
- Soap-free, coconut-based shampoo that gently cleanses skin and fur
- Rosemary and coconut work together to soothe itchy skin
- The natural rosemary scent keeps your furry friend smelling as clean as if he just left the spa
- Perfect for cats and dogs over six weeks of age who need a deodorizing shampoo
- 100% biodegradable, paraben, and phosphate-free for a safe and healthy bath time experience
- It does not lather well.
5- Richard’s Organics Anti-Bacterial Shampoo
Richard’s Organics Anti-Bacterial Shampoo is perfect for pets with sensitive skin. The Tea Tree Oil in this product helps fight bacterial and fungal infections, while the Neem Oil helps soothe dry, itchy skin. This shampoo also helps control and eliminate bad odors associated with the skin.
- Tea Tree Oil helps fight bacterial and fungal infections
- Neem Oil helps soothe dry, itchy skin
- Controls and eliminates foul odors associated with skin
- Not appropriate for pups under 12 weeks.
6- Pets Are Kids Too Premium Oatmeal Pet Shampoo
Pets Are Kids Too Premium Oatmeal Pet Shampoo is made with all-natural ingredients and no harmful chemicals.
It features organic oatmeal, baking soda, aloe vera, and coconut for instant itch relief.
It soothes your pet’s skin and leaves her coat soft and shiny. It Leaves your paw-tner with a light oatmeal cookie scent.
- Made with all-natural ingredients and no harmful chemicals
- Features organic oatmeal, baking soda, aloe vera, and coconut for instant itch relief
- Soothes your pet’s skin and leaves her coat soft and shiny
- It Leaves your paw-tner with a light oatmeal cookie scent.
- The fragrance doesn’t last long
- The sweet scent doesn’t appeal to everyone
7- 4Legger Organic, Hypoallergenic, Lemongrass & Aloe Dog Shampoo
This gentle yet effective formula is perfect for dogs with sensitive skin or allergies. The concentrated, eco-friendly formula is easy to lather and rinse and is made with sustainably sourced ingredients. Cruelty-free and vegan, this shampoo is perfect for your furry friend.
- The gentle yet effective formula is perfect for dogs with sensitive skin or allergies
- Made with sustainably sourced ingredients
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- It May is not adequate for severe allergies or skin conditions
- Some dogs may not like the smell of lemongrass.
Benefits of Using a Good Smelling Dog Shampoo
Using a good-smelling dog shampoo has a lot of benefits:
- Some fragrances provide soothing properties: While some people may find certain smells overwhelming, dogs are much more sensitive to smells than we are; This means that the right fragrance can have a calming effect on your pup. If your dog is prone to anxiety or stress, consider using a lavender-scented shampoo to help them relax.
- An enjoyable experience for everyone: Let’s face it, bathing your dog can be a bit of a chore. But using a pleasantly-scented shampoo can make the experience much more enjoyable for you and your pup. And who doesn’t love a dog that smells good?
- Leaves your canine smelling fresh: This one is pretty self-explanatory. Good-smelling dog shampoo will leave your canine smelling fresh and clean long after their bath is over.
- Scented shampoos usually work as pest repellents: Many scented dog shampoos also contain ingredients that repel pests like fleas and ticks; This means that not only will your pup smell good, but they’ll also be protected from unwanted pests.
- Healthier for your pup than other choices: Scented shampoos are usually made with natural ingredients, which makes them a healthier choice for your dog than non-scented or chemical-based shampoos.
Tips for Dealing with Dog Smell Between Baths
Regarding dog smell, the best offense is a good defense. That means regular baths with a good-smelling dog shampoo. But sometimes, even the best-smelling dog shampoo can’t keep your pup smelling fresh all the time. If you’re looking for tips on how to deal with dog smell between baths, here are a few things you can try:
1. Use a dog-specific deodorant spray or cologne in between baths. Just make sure to avoid any products that contain alcohol, which can dry out your pup’s skin.
2. Brush your dog regularly; This will help distribute their natural oils evenly and keep their coat looking healthy.
3. Clean their bedding regularly. Your dog spends a lot of time in their bed, so it’s no surprise that it can start to smell after a while. Wash their bedding in hot water at least once a week to keep the smell at bay.
4. Limit their food and water intake before bedtime. Eating and drinking right before bed can cause your dog to breathe badly in the morning.
5. Keep their living area clean. A clean environment will go a long way in keeping your pup smelling fresh. Vacuum and mop regularly, and don’t forget to empty the trash!
6. Give them regular baths; This is the best way to keep your pup smelling fresh and clean. Just be sure to use a good-smelling dog shampoo to get the job done.
Best Smelling Dog Shampoos – FAQs
Q: How often should I bathe my dog?
A: The frequency of baths will depend on a few factors, such as the type of coat they have, their lifestyle, and whether or not they have any medical conditions. As a general rule of thumb, short-haired dogs can be bathed every 4-6 weeks, while long-haired dogs need to be bathed more often, about every 2-4 weeks. If your dog has a medical condition that requires frequent bathing, follow your veterinarian’s recommendations.
Q: What’s the best way to bathe my dog?
A: The best way to bathe your dog depends on size and temperament. Small dogs can usually be bathed in the sink or tub, while larger dogs may need to be bathed outside with a hose. If your dog is resistant to baths, try using a soothing dog shampoo that has a calming effect. You may also want to consider using a dog-specific conditioner to help make the process easier.
Q: What should I do if my dog has sore skin?
A: If your dog has sore or sensitive skin, you’ll want to avoid using anything that could further irritate it. That means no perfumed shampoos, no harsh chemicals, and no hot water. Instead, look for a dog shampoo that’s designed for sensitive skin. You may consider using a conditioner to help soothe your pup’s skin.
Q: Can I use smelling human shampoo on my dog?
A: While you may be tempted to use shampoo on your pup, it’s not a good idea. Human shampoo is designed for human hair, which is different from dog hair. As a result, using human shampoo on your dog can strip their coat of its natural oils and leave their skin feeling dry and irritated. Stick to using dog shampoo to keep your pup looking and smelling their best.
Q: What’s the best way to prevent my dog from getting smelly?
A: The best way to prevent your dog from getting smelly is to give them regular baths with a good-smelling dog shampoo. You should also brush their coat regularly, clean their bedding frequently, and limit their food and water intake before bedtime. By taking these simple steps, you can help keep your pup smelling fresh and clean all the time.
The Bottom Line
Bathing your dog is an essential part of taking care of them. Just be sure to use a good-smelling dog shampoo to get the job done. By considering your dog’s coat, lifestyle, and any medical conditions they may have, you can choose the best shampoo to keep them clean and smelling fresh.
Thanks for sticking around! We hope you found our list of the best-smelling dog shampoos helpful. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or share this post with your friends.
- Top 7 Best Shampoos for Poodles (reviews & guide)
- Best Deshedding Brush: Furminator vs. SleekEZ (Comparison Guide)
- The 7 Best Dog Nail Grinders (Guide & Review)
- Best Brush For German Shepherd (Review)
- 5 Best Silent Dog Whistles (Reviews & Top Pick)
- Best Dog Umbrella: Leash (Review)
- Dog Care: The Complete Guide for a Healthy Dog
- The 5 Best Slow Feeder Dog Bowl (Reviews)
- The Best Dog Proof Trash Cans (Buying Guide & Reviews)
- Top 5 Best Doormat for Dogs (Review)
- 5 Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Dog Shedding Brush: Sleekez vs Furminator | Deshedding Tools
- 7 Best Dog Crate for Labrador Retriever
- 10 Best Toys for Labrador Retrievers (Buying Guide & Reviews)
- The 7 Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin (Reviews & Guide)