We may receive a commission from some of the products or service recommended on our site, at no cost to you.This form of advertising helps us continue to provide you with free advice.
When it comes to finding the best shampoo for German Shepherds, there are a few things you need to consider. The first is your dog’s skin condition. Dogs with dry skin or allergies will need a different type of shampoo than those with fleas or ticks. The second consideration is your dog’s odor. Some dogs have more odor than others, and you’ll need to find a shampoo to help control that. Finally, you’ll want to ensure the shampoo you choose effectively kills fleas and ticks.
To help you find the best shampoo for your German Shepherd, we’ve compiled a list of the ten best available options. We’ve also included a buyer’s guide with everything you need to know about choosing a shampoo for your German Shepherd. And if you’re still unsure which shampoo is right for your dog, we’ve got a list of FAQs to help you out.
Free Puppy Schedule: The Ultimate Guide to Training Your New Puppy
Tell us where to send your Free Guide — along with regular dog and puppy training tips..
Table of Contents
- Best Shampoo for Labrador Retriever – Our Top Pick
- What are the best dog shampoos for German Shepherds?
- What to look for in a good shampoo for German Shepherds
- 10 Best Shampoos for German Shepherds – Reviews
- 1. Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo – Best Overall
- 2. Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo – Best Budget-Friendly
- 3. Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo – Best for Shedding
- 4. Nature’s Specialties Smelly Pet Deodorizing Shampoo – Best for Odor Control
- 5. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Shampoo – Best for Skin Conditions
- 6. TropiClean Natural Flea and Tick Shampoo – Best for Fleas and Ticks
- 7. Particular Paws Oatmeal Shampoo – Best for Dogs with Allergies
- 8. Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner – Best for Dry Skin
- 9. 4-Legger Organic Shampoo – Best for Sensitive Skin
- 10. Vital Pet Life Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo – Best All-Natural Option
- How to bathe your German Shepherd
- 5 Tips for bathing your German Shepherd:
- Best Shampoos for German Shepherds – FAQs
Best Shampoo for Labrador Retriever – Our Top Pick
What are the best dog shampoos for German Shepherds?
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo – Best Overall
- Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo – Best Budget-Friendly
- Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo – Best for Shedding
- Nature’s Specialties Smelly Pet Deodorizing Shampoo – Best for Odor Control
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Shampoo – Best for Skin Conditions
- TropiClean Natural Flea and Tick Shampoo – Best for Fleas and Ticks
- Particular Paws Oatmeal Shampoo – Best for Dogs with Allergies
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner – Best for Dry Skin
- 4-Legger Organic Shampoo – Best for Sensitive Skin
- Vital Pet Life Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo – Best All-Natural Option
What to look for in a good shampoo for German Shepherds
When you’re looking for a good shampoo for German Shepherds, there are a few things you need to take into account:
If your German Shepherd has dry skin, you’ll want to find a shampoo specifically designed for dry skin. Some shampoos contain ingredients that help to moisturize the skin, while others remove the build-up of dead skin cells.
If your German Shepherd is allergic to certain ingredients, you’ll want to find a hypoallergenic shampoo free of those allergens. For example, if your dog is allergic to fragrances, you’ll want to find a fragrance-free shampoo.
Fleas and ticks
If your German Shepherd is prone to fleas and ticks, you’ll want to find a shampoo to kill these pests. Some shampoos contain ingredients that repel fleas and ticks, so they don’t return after your dog has been bathed.
If your German Shepherd has a strong odor, you’ll want to find a shampoo to control odors. Some shampoos contain ingredients that neutralize odors, while others mask them.
10 Best Shampoos for German Shepherds – Reviews
Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo is a natural and effective way to soothe itchy skin and provide relief for dogs with allergies or sensitivity. The veterinarian-formulated blend of essential oils and key natural ingredients, including oatmeal, D-limonene, and tea tree oil, helps to calm and moisturize red, itchy skin, while washing away allergens and leaving your dog smelling spa-day fresh. This shampoo may be used as often as needed to remove allergens without drying out your dog’s skin, and it won’t affect other topical flea and tick control products. Give your furry friend the relief they deserve with Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo.
This soap-free shampoo is made with oatmeal and organic aloe vera, specifically for dry, itchy, and sensitive skin. It works to re-moisturize, heal, and soothe dry, scratched skin while neutralizing odors. The fragrance-free formula is perfect for pets with sensitivities or allergies. Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo is 100% biodegradable, paraben and phosphate-free for a safe and trustworthy formula. It’s perfect for cats and dogs over six weeks who need a moisturizing shampoo.
Made in the USA, this top-quality shampoo is designed to reduce excess shedding and keep your fur baby’s coat healthy and lustrous. Enriched with omega fatty acids and conditioning agents, this shampoo will leave your dog’s coat soft, shiny, and free of tangles. The built-in deodorizer eliminates wet dog smell, while the paraben-free and dye-free formulas are gentle on your pup’s skin. Give your furry friend the gift of a healthy coat with FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo!
Are you looking to get rid of that nasty skunk smell? Or your pet needs an excellent deodorizing shampoo? Nature’s Specialties Smelly Pet Deodorizing Shampoo is here to the rescue! This non-toxic, biodegradable shampoo contains a proprietary mild shampoo base and aloe vera, silk proteins, panthenol, and vitamins A, D, and E to leave your pet’s coat looking and smelling amazing. The best part? It’s pH balanced and safe for all breeds! Apply directly to your pet’s fur or dilute with warm water according to the severity of the smell; for skunk odors, cut 2 to 1. Massage into the dry coat, wait 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly, and repeat if necessary.
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Shampoo contain ingredients like aloe vera and a 100% paraben-free formula to help soothe your pet’s skin and speed the healing of affected areas. Plus, this shampoo’s antiseptic and antifungal properties can help prevent future flare-ups. For best results, shampoo your pet twice weekly until their skin conditions clear up. Once they do, continue to shampoo once a week to help prevent dermatitis or pyoderma from returning.
This soothing formula relieves flea and tick irritations while effectively decreasing filthy dogs. The long-lasting calming citrus aroma leaves your dog smelling fresh and ready for cuddles! TropiClean Natural Flea and Tick Shampoo are pH-balanced, soap-free, paraben-free, and dye free. It is made with naturally derived ingredients and is safe when used as directed on dogs 12 weeks or older—made in the USA with only the highest quality, naturally derived ingredients.
If you’re looking for a natural way to soothe your pet’s dry, itchy skin, look no further than Particular Paws Oatmeal Shampoo. This all-natural shampoo blend contains oatmeal and Aloe Vera to heal damaged skin and hair, plus a cooling relief from the first application. It’s perfect for all types of fur and can be used on puppies and kittens. Regular use will give your furry friend a luxuriously thick and full coat. So why wait? Try Particular Paws Oatmeal Shampoo today!
Made with pure botanical extracts and natural conditioners, this soap-free shampoo and conditioner blend builds a rich lather that rinses easily, leaving skin silky soft, and shiny. The coconut-based liquid is entirely alcohol-free and made with lavender and mint to make bathtime a soothing experience. Wheat protein is a natural deodorizer and is safe for frequent use, even on puppies who know how to get dirty. Not tested on animals, safe for humans when used as directed, and made in the USA!
This holistic, essential oil blend gently cleans, moisturizes, conditions, and softens without stripping natural skin and coat oils. Lemongrass is known for its antibacterial, antifungal, and pest-deterrent properties to ease infections caused by yeast, fungus & bacteria naturally. The concentrated formula is easy to lather and rinse with no artificial thickeners, detergents, parabens, sulfates, or synthetic preservatives. Plus, it’s eco-friendly, 100% biodegradable, and made with sustainably-sourced, non-GMO ingredients. It’s also cruelty-free, vegan, and gluten-free. And it’s manufactured in small batches in a USDA-certified organic facility to ensure quality. So treat your furry friend to the best with 4-Legger’s Organic Shampoo!
This top-quality shampoo is formulated to soften, shine and smooth your dog’s dry, dull or coarse coat. Made in the USA with natural, anti-inflammatory ingredients like oatmeal, aloe vera, and jojoba oil to help moisturize and soothe Fluffy’s dry, itchy skin. Chamomile and yucca can help provide dandruff relief. Plus, it’s an all-natural canine cleanser free from sulfates, parabens, and other chemicals.
How to bathe your German Shepherd
You first need to gather all the supplies you’ll need for bathing your German Shepherd; This includes dog shampoo, a towel, and a brush. You’ll also need access to warm water.
Next, you’ll want to wet your German Shepherd’s coat with warm water. Be sure to avoid getting any water in your dog’s eyes or ears. Once the skin is wet, apply a generous amount of dog shampoo and work it into a lather.
Next, you’ll need to brush your German Shepherd’s coat to loosen any dirt or debris that may be stuck in it. Once you’ve touched the fur, you can rinse it with warm water. Be sure to rinse all the soap out of your dog’s coat.
Finally, you’ll want to dry your German Shepherd’s coat with a towel. You can also use a blow dryer on a low setting to speed up the drying process. Once the skin is dry, you can brush it and style it as desired.
5 Tips for bathing your German Shepherd:
- Always use warm water when bathing your German Shepherd. Hot water can strip the natural oils from your dog’s coat, leading to dry skin.
- Wet your German Shepherd’s coat thoroughly before applying shampoo; This will help the shampoo to lather better and be more effective.
- When rinsing your German Shepherd’s coat, be sure to rinse all the soap out. Any soap left in the coat can irritate your dog’s skin.
- After bathing your German Shepherd, thoroughly dry the coat. Wet hair can lead to matting and tangles.
- Finally, always brush your German Shepherd’s coat after bathing; This will help to remove any tangles and keep the fur looking its best.
Best Shampoos for German Shepherds – FAQs
Q: How often should you bathe your German Shepherd?
A: How often you need to bathe your German Shepherd will depend on a few factors, such as coat type and activity level. Generally speaking, you should clean your German Shepherd every 2-4 weeks.
Q: Can I use human shampoo on my German Shepherd?
A: No, you should not use human shampoo on your German Shepherd. Human shampoo is not pH balanced for dogs and can strip the natural oils from their skin, leading to dryness and irritation.
Q: What best way to brush my German Shepherd’s coat?
A: The best way to brush your German Shepherd’s coat depends on their coat type. If they have a short coat, you can use a bristle brush. You’ll need to use a comb or a slicker brush if they have a long coat.
Q: My German Shepherd has sensitive skin. What ingredients should I avoid in their shampoo?
A: If your German Shepherd has sensitive skin, you’ll want to avoid shampoos that contain harsh chemicals and fragrances. It would help if you also looked for hypoallergenic shampoos for dogs with sensitive skin.
Q: Can I make my dog shampoo?
A: Yes, you can make your dog shampoo at home. There are several recipes that you can find online. Just be sure to avoid any ingredients that could be harmful to your dog.
Q: What are some typical dog shampoo ingredients?
A: Some typical dog shampoo ingredients include surfactants, which help to create a lather; emollients, which help to moisturize the skin; and fragrances.
Q: How do I know if my German Shepherd’s coat is dry?
A: One way to tell if your German Shepherd’s coat is dry is to look at the individual hairs. If they seem dull or lifeless, that’s a good sign that the skin is dry. You may also notice that your dog is scratching more than usual.
Determining the best shampoo for German Shepherds can be tricky, as every dog is different. That’s why we’ve put together this list of the ten best German Shepherds shampoos, based on real owners’ feedback. We also have tips on bathing your German Shepherd and keeping their coat looking its best. So if you need a new shampoo for your furry friend, check out our list. And don’t forget to leave us a comment and let us know your favorite!
- 7 Best Dog Houses for German Shepherds for Both Indoor and Outdoor Use
- 9 Best Dog Beds for German Shepherds in 2022
- 7 Best Dog Crates for German Shepherds
- Best Dog Food for German Shepherd Puppies (Review)
- German Shepherd Potty Training (How to Guide)
- Best Toys for German Shepherds (Puppies and Adults) Reviews
- The 7 Best Dog Nail Grinders (Guide & Review)
- 5 Best Silent Dog Whistles (Reviews & Top Pick)
- 7 Best Leashes for Dogs That Pull (Reviews & Guide)
- 7 Best Dog Umbrellas (Reviews & Guide)
- The 7 Best Slow Feeder Dog Bowls (Reviews & Guide)
- Top 7 Best Dog-Proof Trash Cans (Buying Guide & Reviews)
- Top 7 Best Doormats for Dogs
- 7 Best Automatic Dog Waterers (Guide & Reviews)
- Top 7 Best Dog Leashes for Running
- Best Dog Shedding Brush: Sleekez vs. Furminator | Deshedding Tools
- The 7 Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin (Reviews & Guide)